Navdy lets you search for any destination just by speaking to your phone. To try it out, complete the initial setup instructions, navigate to Place Search in the main menu, tap the dial, and then speak your command to your phone.
Initial Setup Instructions
- Make sure you are using the the latest Navdy app and Navdy display versions. See here for instructions on upgrading.
- Ensure you have allowed microphone permissions by navigating to Settings > Apps > Navdy > Permissions and make sure Microphone is toggled on.
Performing Place Search Using Your Voice
- Ensure the volume on your phone and car is at an audible level.
- Tap your Dial once to enter the Main Menu.
- Tap on the first item, “Place Search”
- Wait until the microphone message lights up blue and says “Speak now.” You will also hear a “ding” sound when your display enters this state.
- Speak your command to your phone. You can search for street addresses, names of places, favorite places, and contacts. Try saying things like:
- “Coffee shops”
- “Gas stations nearby”
- “Take me to work”
- “Take me home”
- “Take me to the gym”
|If you hear:||Troubleshooting Steps:|
|“Sorry I didn’t get that”||
|“Sorry, the internet appears to be unavailable right now”||
|"Sorry, place search is not available right now"||
It means that Google’s speech recognition services is temporarily not responding.
|Navdy is not recognizing the first part of your voice command||
How is the Place Search feature able to hear my voice?
When your phone is connected to your car using bluetooth, Navdy captures your voice using the your car’s built in microphone. If your phone isn’t paired to your car over bluetooth, or if you’ve set your audio settings to only use your iPhone speaker, then Place Search will listen through your phone’s built-in microphone. You can tell which microphone Navdy is listening through by whether the Place Search icon is displaying a Bluetooth icon or a phone icon.
Can I use Siri or Google Now to search for destinations on Navdy?
Currently the only way to speak a destination and have the navigation route sent to Navdy is by using Navdy’s Place Search feature. Siri or Google now can be used to perform a variety of other functions, but when asked to navigate to a location, they will open routing apps from either Apple or Google.
Can I speak to Place Search in a language that isn’t English?
No, currently Place Search is only supported for English language commands.